Pages

Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Let's BEE hitched!

We have this weird thing with bees...

A few years ago I read all these articles about the declining honey bee population and it freaked me out. On top of everything else, Einstein was quoted as saying that when the last bee dies, we have 4 years of life left! (Don't get too freaked out... this may just be a rumored quote... I checked www.snopes.com)

With yet another thing to keep me awake at 3:00 am, I decided to do whatever I could to help stop the declining bee populations - by this I mean turning down plastic bags at Safeway and making a loud statement to the cashier that I was "DOING IT FOR THE BEES!"

Somehow this lead to Arlyn and I buying things that had bees on it.

I bought her a bee ring... bee shirts... commissioned bee art...

(APPARENTLY it was already dead... The girl did not kill a bee to make this)

Painting by Lani Imre

Anyway, one day Arlyn suggested the two of us getting bee tattoos... and since our friend Joe Gilland had just started tattooing, we decided to have him design and tattoo some bees for us.

Joe Gilland of "Lilo and Stitch" fame.

Joe is a crazy good artist, so we had no doubt he could come up with a cool design. After some back and forth, we went with this drawing:

Joe lives on the Island, so a few weeks ago we made a day trip to visit his home/tattoo shop.

 Tattoo guns at the ready...

One of the many paintings he's done...

Skull Buddha painting of one of his tattoo's in progress...

So after visiting a bit, Joe got the stencils ready, and we were good to go.



Arlyn was up first...

The placing of the bee stencil...

Ar wanted the bee to be heading to her flower tat...

Some different inks set up...


Don't sneeze.



With 2 hours til our ferry departure, it was my turn...

I chose my wrist... I intend to work it into a full sleeve I have planned...





And so with my our bees finished, Joe rushed us back to the ferries, and we were on our way home.

Thanks Joe, Seeya at the wedding!


1 comment: